Skip to main content

About me


Hello there, thanks for stopping by. My name is Cheryl Casey Ramirez and I am an artist living on the edge of the West Texas plains. I have been an artist for a pretty long time and I love what I do. I studied at Cisco College, Texas State University, and Tarleton State University where I earned a Bachelor of Art degree. I work in my home studio, mostly on watercolor paintings.

My art is inspired by my upbringing, surroundings, and friends right here in Texas. From the fields and homesteads to our lively, vibrant cities. You'll find bold colors here with a sense of warmth and excitement.

My husband and I are also beekeepers. We generally keep eight to ten hives at my dad’s farm. We learn more from those bees every year, including our humble place in the hierarchy of the ecosystem.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bluebonnets In A Jar: The painting that got things rolling

  My watercolor painting Bluebonnets in a Jar was the art piece that finally got things going on my Etsy store. I had been doing pet portraits and quickly burning out on those. Then one day my father-in-law Ralph asked if I would paint some Texas bluebonnets on a coffee mug for him. He had offered to fix a chip in his neighbor's bluebonnet mug, her favorite, but the old ceramic mug cracked and broke under the pressure. Ralph felt bad about the broken mug and was determined to find a replacement. Bluebonnets in a Jar - art prints on Etsy We searched for one online in all the usual places and were surprised to find none. So I sat down one day and painted a full page of detailed bluebonnets that I could place one-by-one in a design that would wrap around the mug. We tried out a few companies that do sublimation printing on mugs and found one we liked. The mug turned out just as we had hoped and Ralph was very pleased to be able to replace his neighbor's favorite mug. The next tho

Lion Art with Courage Bible Verse, Joshua 1:9

I painted this lion one August to honor both my parents. Whenever the subject came up, Mom would joke about how volatile it was for two Leo's to marry. She wasn't wrong. While I was painting this lion, I wound up wondering why some lions have black manes. It turns out their manes grow more and more black as they age. A lion with a mostly black mane is a long-time survivor. Inverse to we humans who tend to go gray and then white with age. Lion with courage verse, art prints on Etsy The original painting, which now resides in a private collection in Chicago, Illinois, does not have the scripture or any text on it. I'm not a fan of original paintings having text or pushing a meaning. I only paint because some things strike me as beautiful or emotional and I start thinking about how I might get watercolor to convey that. The verse was added later to some of the prints, upon a special request. It fit both symbolically and physically in the open space so I accommodated.